Staff Education Program awards

If you are working with older adults as a professional caregiver or first responder within the Island Health footprint, we may be able to help you further your education!  If you are a University of Victoria student and your focus is related to enhancing care for older adults, we may be able to provide some funding and support for your research project.   

For access to our awards criteria and application forms, 

please CLICK on the award title sections below.


The Funke-Furber Gerontological Research Award supports applied research designed to enhance and advance care for the elderly. Applicants must be health care professionals, graduate students or undergraduate students registered in an educational program offered by UVic.

The Jack Howard Scholarship in Gerontology is designed to help staff obtain a certificate or degree in areas of health care delivery to older adults.

The Kully Sekhon Memorial Education fund supports the ongoing education of health care workers caring for older adults on Vancouver Island in Residential Care or through Home & Community Care.

The Peg Bridges Award assists staff enrolled in a nursing education program that gives credit towards a degree in Nursing.

The R.S. Young Memorial Geriatric Medical Education Fund provides support for physicians to attend education/conferences related to geriatric care.

The Rudi Kind Award offers financial support to staff that are either presenting or attending conferences focusing on care for older adults.

The Staff Education Award supports education sessions or projects that will benefit staff members or the facilities they work in. This award is specific to the facilities/programs Eldercare directly supports in the Capital Regional District/Greater Victoria.

The Ruth A. Gardner Research Award supports graduate students who are undertaking a clinical or applied research project designed to enhance and advance care for individuals with chronic conditions who are aging. Applicants must be a graduate student registered in an educational program offered by UVic.

If a letter is required from your manager or supervisor. Please make sure that your manager or supervisor completes the online form which can be found by clicking the button below

If you have any further questions you can email: or call 250-370-5664